What is my preferred Azure MFA method?
When you sign in to your account with MFA, you will be asked to complete another authentication method after entering your password to verify your identity. The method that is shown to you first as a default depends on what methods you have enrolled for MFA and what your default sign-in method is set as.
If your phone is enrolled for MFA, you will see two options:
- To have a code texted to your phone (Phone - text method)
- To have your phone called (Phone - call method)
If a mobile app is enrolled for MFA, you will see one of the following options:
- To approve a sign in request / notification on your phone through the app (Authenticator - notification)
- To copy and enter a code from the app (Authenticator - code)
If both your phone and a mobile app is enrolled, all of the above methods will be available to you.
Even though all the methods you have enrolled in for MFA will be available to you for signing in, the one that is shown first as a default will depend on what you have set as your default sign-in method. This is to save you time so that you don't have to do the extra step of choosing your preferred method every time you sign in.
Follow the steps below to check what your default sign-in method for MFA is right now and how to change it to your preferred MFA method.
How do I check and change my preferred MFA method?
- Log in to the Office 365 security info link at https://aka.ms/mysecurityinfo
- Enter your school email address and click Next.
- Enter your password and click Sign In.
- You will then be directed to a screen asking if you would like to stay signed in. Click No if the computer you are using is a public machine. Click Yes if you are using a trusted personal device and would like to reduce how many times you are asked to sign in.
- Finish signing in with your preferred MFA method (see this article for help with signing in with MFA).
- Once you finish signing in with MFA, you will see the Security info page in Microsoft's My Sign-Ins website for your account. Below the Security info heading, you will see Default sign-in method, and next to it, you can see the default sign-in method that is currently set for your account. In order to change this method, click the Change button next to Default sign-in method.
Note: On this page, you can also see what methods you have enrolled for MFA which are listed below Default sign-in method. If you want to add a new authentication method, see this article on how to add a new MFA method.
- A pop up will show asking you which method you would like to use for signing in. In the dropdown, select the MFA method that you want to make your default sign-in method.
- Click Confirm.
- You will receive a notification that your default sign-in method has been changed.
- Now that you have made this change, your default sign-in method for MFA will be shown first the next time you sign in to your account. If you are finished making changes, you may close this page.